Archives for posts with tag: Patterns

This Thanksgiving my boyfriend and I got to show off our muslins.

20121123-170200.jpg

I have been working on the Wiksten Tova Top for myself and the Colette Patterns’ Negroni for him.

20121123-170440.jpg

My sister took some fun photos of us in my grandparent’s backyard.

20121123-170520.jpg

While I like the out takes the best, here is the real take.

20121123-170719.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving, pilgrim!

The Rainbow Rompers are complete!

20120812-194812.jpg

20120812-194831.jpg

I omitted two steps from the McCall’s M533 pattern. First, I did not use interfacing for the bodice of view A. I do not think it would have made much of a difference on the front bodice, but the neck facing sticks up like a mini ruffled collar. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

20120812-195052.jpg

Second, I did not elasticize the waistband. It was one of the last steps and we thought the rompers may look nice with a belt instead of a gathered waist.

The sleeves in view A turned out more tank-like than capped. Again, not a bad thing.

20120812-195337.jpg

When we put them on, I looked ready for the beach and my romper twin looked ready for an athletic completion of sorts:

20120812-195514.jpg

The photo may be fuzzy, but the fun-ness of the rompers is clear!

This is my first time sewing shorts, two pairs for the rainbow rompers.

20120710-213136.jpg

Complete with pockets!

20120710-213310.jpg

All that is left to do is join the tops to the bottoms.

I am pleased with my finished McCall’s M6534 dress!

Pleased with the elasticized neckline.

20120709-223419.jpg

Pleased with the cap sleeves.

20120709-223446.jpg

Pleased with the exactness of the darts.

20120709-223529.jpg

Pleased with the hook and eye atop the zipper.

20120709-223651.jpg

And pleased to be sending the finished dress to a good friend in Richmond, as it was a little snug for me.

20120709-223748.jpg

By far, my best dress to date!

Work is underway on 2 summer rompers!

20120617-121411.jpg

Once the patterns pieces are cut for McCall’s M6533, sewing the rompers should be fun and easy.

After a modified attempt, I am following McCall’s M6534 to a T.

20120608-015826.jpg

This time around, I have a better understanding of the pattern and was excited to see the little sleeves take shape.

20120608-020051.jpg

All that’s left to do is sew in the zipper and hem the dress.

20120608-020125.jpg

Hopefully I will have it finished in time for church on Sunday!

Here is my novice attempt at modifying McCall’s M6534 pattern:

20120603-210649.jpg

To make this one-strap dress, I cut the two skirt and two bodice pattern pieces. I darted the pieces as instructed, then attached the bodice upside-down to the skirt, omitting the zipper since using a jersey knit fabric. With the bodice upside-down, the dress had two “straps”. I cut off one of the straps, finishing the dress with a scooping one-strap neckline.

20120603-211057.jpg

While not perfect, I am happy with my modifications and love the paint splattered fabric!

I hope to attempt this pattern again, correctly, in a linen-like fabric.

Friday night I found this pattern from Colette Patterns. I thought it looked simple and fun, so I gave it a whirl. This is how it turned out.

20120603-151035.jpg

This top gave me a chance to work on a few techniques, mainly bias tape. I made my own with a one inch strip of fabric folded over a little under 1/4 inch on each side. It was time consuming, but good practice. By the last arm hole, I finally got the hang of how to apply it.

20120603-151717.jpg

I am pleased with my Sorbetto Tank Top!

Maybe it is because I used an un-suggested fabric. Maybe it is because I wanted to make the dress have one strap, instead of two sleeves. Or maybe it is because I was sewing Saturday morning without eating breakfast. Whatever the case, I am confused by McCall’s pattern M6534.

To start with I had the hardest time matching up the sleeves.

20120519-222902.jpg
Maybe the pattern was misprinted, but these notches did not match up!

Same with the notches on the front and back skirt pieces.

20120519-223249.jpg

Like I said, I wanted the dress to have one strap, not two sleeves. If I was sewing the sleeves, maybe I would have noticed that I had sewed the bodice upside down!

See, the bodice and skirt match up nicely, when the pattern pieces are the right way.

20120519-223714.jpg

20120519-223738.jpg

Look at that grain line arrow pointing down, what was I thinking?! I am such a novice!

A novice with a one strap dress that actually turned out well, even though the bodice was sewn on upside down!

I’ll share the finished product soon.

Last night I began working on the bodice for my Vogue 8631 dress. Instead of navy, I selected this orange dot fabric.

20120518-001151.jpg

I practiced real sewing techniques, like basting pleats and using bias tape.

20120518-001258.jpg

All was going well until I got to this step, trim seam allowance to a scant 1/4″. It was then I realizes that in the previous step, trim away armhole raw edge 1/2″ from basting, I had in error trimmed 1/2″ from the raw edge. When it came time to turn bias tape to inside along seam, there was hardly any seam left!

20120518-001855.jpg

I am too frustrated to fix it, so, for even sleeves, I will have to mess up the other sleeve in the same manner. Good thing the rest of the dress will be trimmed in bias tape, giving me a chance to get it right!