Archives for posts with tag: Bias Tape

Here is a quick look at how I made my JMU inspired napkins.

Folding two yards of purple cotton fabric in half and then in half again, I cut two 16″x16″ squares.

20120925-224227.jpg

Leaving me with 8 napkins.

20120925-224304.jpg

Instead of cutting along the bias, I folded my trim fabric the same as above and cut 2″ strips until I had 512 inches of strips.

20120925-224420.jpg

I pulled the 2″ strips through my 1″ bias tape maker, pressing to hold the shape. I then folded the bias tap in half to create tons of double fold bias tape for the trim.

20120925-224605.jpg

I cut four 16″ strips for each napkin, two of which had the ends folded under.

20120925-224831.jpg

I pinned the bias tape in place as trim around the napkins and sewed in place.

20120925-225014.jpg

I love them!

What do you give a good friend and JMU alum for her bridal shower?

20120922-184124.jpg

Napkin rings from here registry and homemade napkins.

20120922-184207.jpg

I hope she and the Duke Dog she is marrying enjoy entertaining with them!

20120922-184256.jpg

512 inches to be exact. That is how much bias tape I needed for my most recent project.

20120922-181004.jpg
This little guy got a lot of work.

Since I have been working on a few projects that require bias tape (and because I asked) my boyfriend bought me a Clover 1″ Bias Tape Maker for our 35 month anniversary.

I tried it out tonight, following The Coletterie’s Continuous Bias Tape Tutorial.

20120612-220835.jpg

Step One: Cut a 10″ X 10″ square piece of fabric, then cut in half diagonally, along the bias.

20120612-221003.jpg

20120612-221025.jpg

Step Two: With right sides together, pin the two triangles at either of the straight sides. Edge stitch.

20120612-221134.jpg

Step Three: Open the fabric and press the seam apart.

20120612-221241.jpg

Step Four: Starting at the edge of the fabric, mark. I marked 2″ lines, since I have a 1″ bias tape maker.

20120612-221425.jpg

Step Five: With right sides together, fold narrow tips lengthwise to make a small square. This step was tricky! I was sure I was doing it wrong, but I did it anyway.

20120612-221737.jpg

Step Six: Once folded, offset the 1st row and pin in place, matching the lines while pinning. Sew a narrow 1/4″seam. Press seam apart. Again, I felt like I was doing it wrong.

20120612-222131.jpg

Step Seven: Starting at the first offset row of drawn lines, cut until you reach the end. The moment of truth, did I follow steps five and six correctly?!

20120612-222312.jpg

Yes! Success! A continuous 2″ strip!

20120612-222406.jpg

Step Eight: Pull your continuous bias tape strip through your bias tape maker while pressing the folds with your iron.

20120612-222532.jpg

The tutorial stated you should produce nearly 100″ of 1/2″ bias tape. With this being my first time, not accurately sewing my two triangles together and using a 1″ bias tape maker, the ends of my continuous strip were not even.   I had to cut 10″ off each end, leaving me with 30″ of useable 1″ bias tape.

20120612-222803.jpg

Not bad for my first attempt!

20120612-222845.jpg

Thank you Coletterie!

I have three projects in the works.

20120611-221110.jpg
This fabric reminds me of Alice in Wonderland and will be fun as a nursing cover for a good friend.

20120611-221225.jpg
These fabrics may look familiar, as I will be making another Sorbetto top. This time polka dotted trimmed with floral bias tape (made with my new, fun bias tape maker).

20120611-221431.jpg
This fun mirror imaged fabric will be turned into two round cushions, for a quaint outdoor table.

Fun!

Friday night I found this pattern from Colette Patterns. I thought it looked simple and fun, so I gave it a whirl. This is how it turned out.

20120603-151035.jpg

This top gave me a chance to work on a few techniques, mainly bias tape. I made my own with a one inch strip of fabric folded over a little under 1/4 inch on each side. It was time consuming, but good practice. By the last arm hole, I finally got the hang of how to apply it.

20120603-151717.jpg

I am pleased with my Sorbetto Tank Top!

Last night I began working on the bodice for my Vogue 8631 dress. Instead of navy, I selected this orange dot fabric.

20120518-001151.jpg

I practiced real sewing techniques, like basting pleats and using bias tape.

20120518-001258.jpg

All was going well until I got to this step, trim seam allowance to a scant 1/4″. It was then I realizes that in the previous step, trim away armhole raw edge 1/2″ from basting, I had in error trimmed 1/2″ from the raw edge. When it came time to turn bias tape to inside along seam, there was hardly any seam left!

20120518-001855.jpg

I am too frustrated to fix it, so, for even sleeves, I will have to mess up the other sleeve in the same manner. Good thing the rest of the dress will be trimmed in bias tape, giving me a chance to get it right!